Our purpose What’s in it for me? Our platform Inspiration Contact
Become a partner
Log in
Projects 10 mar 2022

How the circular economy tackles climate change

A fundamental shift is needed in the global approach to climate change, in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet the targets as set out for 2050 in the Paris Agreement.

How the circular economy tackles climate change

The renewable energy transition, which is vital to tackle climate change, is only half the story. That transition would only address 55% of global greenhouse gas emissions, namely those that are related to the electricity and heating that is used in buildings, to our energy system more broadly, and to transport. The remaining 45% of emissions come from industry, agriculture and land use.

To eliminate these hard-to-abate emissions, we need to decouple economic activity from the consumption of finite resources. Transform every element of our take-make-waste system; how we manage resources, how we make and use products, and what we do with the materials afterwards. Only then will we be able to create a thriving circular economy that can benefit everyone within the limits of our planet.

Read more about the role of circular economy in tackling climate change on the website of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.

View all

Benefitted from in the world around us

madaster-image News

Madaster launches in the United Kingdom

Read more
madaster-image Blogs

How easy it is to make a material passport using BIM

Read more
madaster-image News, Projects

Design of the Netherlands Expo 2025 Pavilion Osaka by consortium AND unveiled

Read more